I have gas ... and need help. :)

A place to talk about anything well just about anything (this is a family show remember).

I have gas ... and need help. :)

Postby MacLister » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:53 pm

Hi guys, :grin:

I have a small gas tank that I use for ligting only at the moment. So I have a gas light, which is great. For that, I have a small connector on my gas tank.

So, there's a type of bend connector that bends up. On that, there's a metal pole that goes up to the lamp.

That works well, but now I bought a Weber BabyQ BBQ, which I love. I got the small portable one, which, by the way, is awesome, even for a family of 5! (Well, the are kids below 7!)

Anyway, I want to take it, but the connector won't fit my current setup. I think I can connect the BabyQ to the bottle direct - but I'll need my light. The pole, up to the lamp, has an extra output. So, is there a way I can connect my webber to that pole?

And secondly, it's a 4kg bottle... It should last 4 nights with maybe 4 BBQs of around 40mins each, and the lamp on for maybe 5 hours a night? Or am I going to come short with gas?
MacLister
Captain Camping

Re: I have gas ... and need help. :)

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:04 am

I would probably have a separate gas bottle for both. Sort of scares me having two connections on one gas bottle but that's just me personally.

We don't actually use bottled gas at all when camping as we have the U-Bute bbq stove & two smaller burners that run on butane cans. All our lighting is battery (re-chargable) or 12v as I have an aversion to gas lanterns around my kids & have just never had them.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful but someone on here will know more & will help out as there is a lot of smart people on this forum!!!!! :+

Otherwise ask at your local camping store about the connection.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:22 pm

I would run my BabyQ from a separate bottle. I actually don't have any gas lights, only 12 volt.

I personally would also not like to be running the 2 from the same bottle but possibly for different reasons.....I like to keep my light as far away from the cooking as is possible....less bugs in the cooking.

Also, you can buy a light/handle for your BabyQ that will turn on automatically when the lid is lifted. It has an on/off switch as well and this will give you a more direct light.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco1 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:47 pm

MacLister......We have used the ''TEE'' system for years to run both....as you can see in the pic of '''''ME DOING THE COOKING ....AND DISH'S'''''....lol (was our 1st camp in Aussie ...Had to teach Avis how to use the stuff''....lol)

NEVER had a problem....keep your couplings tight and even better if you use the yellow gas thread tape

Cheers

Rosco
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby MacLister » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:48 pm

Ah! Thanks!
And I just went and bought a new 2kg gas tank today for the light, so my 9kg can be backup/cooking tank! Damn this!! :)
MacLister
Captain Camping

Postby Poodle Jewel » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:17 pm

Drives me up the wall how not all gas bottle hoses are the same size, I have been given a 9kg gas bottle but the lead won`t fit my stove or gas light so i have to go buy more connections,why can`t they all be standard.??
The Lord is my shepard,i shall not want......only sometimes.
Poodle Jewel
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:15 am

Our friends have had the same problem PJ....

When they bought their camper trailer the gas bottle hooked up to their kitchen had connections from Bunnings and they went to try to replace them and they don't stock them anymore and have been searching for a while to try to find the right one, not even BCF had them which is unusual...

Sorry MacLister......but on the upside you now have heaps of gas and won't run out.. :+ :+ :+ :+
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to General Chit-Chat