On-line Forum Survey

Forum Rules, post questions, comments or suggestions, about this forum or website.

Re: On-line Forum Survey

Postby freerocketman1 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:15 pm

well done troy :+ :+
freerocketman1
Blatant Padder

Postby Activity_Dept » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:11 am

Wow that would have taken you a while to cut and paste in. Good work.

It is an interesting result, it shows us as the site managers there are things we can take ownership of and improve on and there are things we simply have to leave up to the members to work out between themselves. I would however like to address 3 points raised in the comments I feel are important to share our views on.

1) In terms of the tech issues we have struggled for some time with an issue that is putting a high load on the server. It slowed the server, forum, login etc. and has taken longer than expected to track down but seems to have been resolved however still more needs to be done. We are a prime target for SPAMMERS as we are ranked high in the search engines; this is a blessing on one hand for attracting new members but a curse for SPAMMERS etc.

2) In terms of management support well we are not a corporate, we don’t have a national publication to stimulate interest and we only have two volunteer moderators. So we are a bit limited in resources however our members although small in numbers have been excellent in terms of supporting the day to day activity and providing quality content on the site and I would like to congratulate and thank everyone for their contribution.

As it stands we would be one of if not the best resource of Australian camping and caravanning information and park reviews on the internet and this will only improve. The better it gets the more interest in the site, the more interest, the more members, resources (sponsors, packaged deals, discounts) but it takes time and it takes patients. We have built this up over 6 years and will continue for the next 6; we have had seven break away groups form and in effect compete against us over the years. Some are still around others are not the point is the more fractured the numbers the less we can give back and the less value members receive from the site.

We take on board that we could do a lot more but this is not a free website we pay good money to host, manage and keep banners off of it, the moderators put a great deal of time into it and we do it so members can get out as much as they put in. Please note we have no forum sponsors i.e. no income it is a case of attracting sponsors based on user numbers ‘you support it and it supports you'...

We accept there is a balance between what you put in and what you get back and we will be the first to agree that we have fallen behind in our part recently but don’t forget we have been doing this for 6 years, received over 3,000 complaints and I think 3 what you might loosely consider compliments so we do have our ups and downs.

3) I guess with a site like this you are always going to get differences of opinion and some conflict. Personally I think it can go either way; sometimes it makes it interesting sometimes it causes divides that can't be overcome. This is one area we hope the moderators monitor and to some degree keep on top of but we for the most part try and stay out of. From experience it is usually a case of dammed if you do dammed if you don’t. The fact that this appears to be a significant contributor to discontent and one of the motivations for some of the members to leave is indeed unfortunate but somewhat out of our control under our current policy stance.

4) In summary, we will continue to address and improve the technical issues that have hung around for the last few months. We will try and improve through our moderators the monitoring and interaction between members and where practical keep things on topic and positive. I cannot say we will intervene or take sides but where there is obvious negativity we will be a little more active with the ban button.

We will continue to promote and maintain the site, attract and welcome new and old members. We will continue to pursue our objectives of becoming a resource and positive force within the industry and deliver member value through discounts at camping grounds, parks, shops, insurance etc. So stick around share your stories, ideas and tips and lets see if we can all have a bit of fun along the way.

That said if there are any enthusiastic volunteers out there feel free to make yourselves known we can always use the help. The survey will help us to improve the service and better deliver value to you and we appreciate and thank all who participated.

Feel free to provide your feedback, comment and complaints.

Regards,
Andrew

:beer
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
Activity_Dept
Site Admin

Postby AussieSunset » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:14 am

Well done Troy and well said Activity_Dept. :+
I'll put my hand up to help, not sure what i can do but yeah i'm sure you'll find something for me.
Life is what happens when you've made other plans. :)
AussieSunset
Blatant Padder

Postby mr_grumble » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:14 pm

Activity_Dept wrote:6 years, received over 3,000 complaints and I think 3 what you might loosely consider compliments so we do have our ups and downs.

That's just life.....whilst everyones content, there is no prompt to compliment, you only ever hear of the complaints.

I'd imagine the positive feeling towards the site FAR outweighs the negitives, no contest.

Well done to all concerned, those who manage, administrate and those who participate.

:+ :+ :cheers :cheers :armsup :armsup
Image Image Image
mr_grumble
Post Machine!

Postby cokebottle » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:34 am

Well done :+

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby Al&Sharon » Sat Aug 02, 2008 9:32 am

great survey tks to every 1 that took part and a great tks has to go to Troy for all the work involved because without his imput this site would truelly not be the same :+ :+ .Oz for keeping us all on the straight and narrow, and as the saying goes (you can please some of the people some of the time but you cant please all of the people all of the time),and to Andrew & Chan many tks for keeping the site up and running, tks every 1 Alan
Al&Sharon
Post Machine!

Postby stevo. » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:30 pm

mr_grumble wrote:
Activity_Dept wrote:6 years, received over 3,000 complaints and I think 3 what you might loosely consider compliments so we do have our ups and downs.

That's just life.....whilst everyones content, there is no prompt to compliment, you only ever hear of the complaints.

I'd imagine the positive feeling towards the site FAR outweighs the negitives, no contest.

Well done to all concerned, those who manage, administrate and those who participate.

:+ :+ :cheers :cheers :armsup :armsup

yerr agree there. and people are less likely to go out of their way to say the site was usefull or helpfull, but they will go to great lengths to complain. That's because there's more grumpy old campers with no life, or wait, maybe that's people on the net with no life? ooo now i'm in trouble.

anyways, the poll was an excellent idea, and possibly even good marketing as it creates content and interest. And aren't i special coz I was one of the people that voted. I don't get on this forum much but I do come back occassionally and look around. I think it's a little difficult to catch up on everything when you're off the forum for a month or so, so when i get on here it's just a sea of new threads and posts. :cheers

Acivity Dept, ay nice lookin logo up there, but you squished it sideways and removed a word!

PS . you'll probably get a few complaints about this post :cheers
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Previous

Return to Forum Rules, Questions & Comments.