Gin Gin Showgrounds

Looking for some tips or advice on camping or where to camp? Post you questions or comments here. General Camping information.

Gin Gin Showgrounds

Postby Lockyer » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:24 pm

May be doing an overnighter at the showgrounds, heard lots of goods comments about the place, plus one of the pub's in town put on a top feed, just waiting on an answer of which weekend - have to drop some gear off to a bloke.

Cheers
Lawrence
You don't have to live forever.....you just have to live.
Lockyer
Camping Veteran

Re: Gin Gin Showgrounds

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:06 am

Oooh goody, bring us a report and some pics please Lawrence.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lockyer » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:33 pm

Just received an email and we're heading up with weekend, just hope the weather plays nice :$

cheers
Lawrence
Lockyer
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:01 pm

The weather report is not looking good.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lockyer » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:26 pm

GypsyLady wrote:The weather report is not looking good.

I didn't read that :shock:

but on another note still waiting on someone to ring us back from the showgrounds :-bang

cheers
Lawrence
Lockyer
Camping Veteran

Postby John G » Fri Mar 23, 2012 1:39 am

Suprised how many showgrounds do allow camping. I know Bulli on the south coast did for years then stopped it due to the council getting involved. Now they only allow mobile homes, and you have be a motorhome club member.
Up this way I know Kendall and Wauhope both offer camping if you ask, but theres no real signage to indicate it. I think walcha and tamworth do allow summer camping (we had a discussion about a big camp out with friends, and they were all mentioned, but noone wanted to go to any of them)
John G
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:12 pm

The number of showgrounds who allow camping these days is being greatly reduced due to council regulations. A lot of it seems to have come about due to the CP lobby against lost cost and free camping.

Seems silly to me, as I would think it prudent to have some money come into town via low cost showground camping as opposed to travelers passing through and moving on to somewhere more accommodating.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lockyer » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:07 am

I use to be a member of a show committee for a number of years and basicly the show societies have taken a bit of liberty with the rules. They where only to allow caravan club's who had there own insurance - public liability to "stop over" for no more then 24 hrs - this was the rule that the peak body allowed to be place into operating charter.
The problem was competition.....a club would ring up and wish to book for 2 nights and our grounds man would say sorry we're only allowed to let you stay for 24hrs - they would reply but XYZ showgrounds will let us stay 2 nights etc etc so next thing you know clubs are staying 3 days and and anyone with a van or trailer can use the grounds as well. It is very hard on the show committee's to raise enough money to maintain there grounds and becoming a de-facto camp ground is an easy way to get some $$$.

I agree if there is a caravan park in town the local showgrounds shouldn't be allowed to provide camping unless it charges the same fee's as the van park, the costs and regulations placed on a caravan park are never ending and local show grounds get most of there things done either by the local council or at a discounted price - take emptying of septic tanks, there is no rules on a showground about how many times there tanks need to be emptied and inspected plus some local councils empty there tanks for free but if it's a caravan park ....

I would love to see the figure's just here in QLD of how many caravan parks there were 10 years ago, 5 years ago, and today.

Cheers
Lawrence
Lockyer
Camping Veteran

Return to Camping Tips and Locations