Camper Insurance

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Camper Insurance

Postby Lucy C » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:12 pm

We are the proud parents of a new Sar Major Camper Trailer... unfortunately due to our babe coming down with gastro and then passing it on to Mum and Dad (thankfully big sis hasn't caught it .... yet) we had to cancel our inaugural trip to Melbourne and hubby had to fly solo instead. Vision of a gastro filled car and camper didn't sound fun! :?
Anyway, we are wondering about insurance for the trailer. Would this come under house insurance whilst garaged at home or would it come under the car insurance or under its own?
Also what is the best way of securing the trailer whilst at home or on the road?

thanks,

Lucy
Lucy C
Boy Scout

Re: Camper Insurance

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:34 pm

First up.....CONGRATULATIONS on the new arrival Lucy.

CT insurance is a requirement all on its own.....it is not covered under any other house/car insurance.

My CT insurance is with AAMI....although they call the CT a caravan....which is a bit strange in my view. There are many companies out there who will insure you CT and I suggest you look at the company you have your car policy with in the first instance, you might qualify for a multiple policy discount. It pays to shop around and pay particular attention to the PDS.

There are a number of ways to secure your CT. I have one of these http://www.trailercop.com/ and also one of these http://klampit.com.au/ which I use out on the road when traveling. At home my CT is housed in the garage out of sight.

Some people use a cable or chain padlocked around the wheel and axle. There are many different options available but I would suggest that if someone really wants your CT, they'll find a way to steal it.....cruel world unfortunately.

Have a look here as well....http://www.campertrailers.org/securing_your_camper.htm
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby padfoot » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:33 pm

Nice camper!
Completely agree with what GL said. Definitely need it's own policy. I have my caravan with IAG/NRMA. If you have all your policies with the one company don't be afraid to get back to them when you have a few quotes and see if they will match the cheapest price. I have heard of some really good discounts of late because of all the new 'budget' players coming into the market.

Good luck!
padfoot
Camping King

Postby Rosco1 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:55 pm

Gypsy wrote
Some people use a cable or chain padlocked around the wheel and axle. There are many different options available but I would suggest that if someone really wants your CT, they'll find a way to steal it.....cruel world unfortunately.
*******************************************************************************************************
Gypsy....As a Security Guard I can assure you that 'Theft Prevention' is only designed to keep the 'Honest People' out.....

You reminded me that I still haven't insured ours....better put it on the ''Must Do'' list

Cheers
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:04 am

Rosco1 wrote:Gypsy....As a Security Guard I can assure you that 'Theft Prevention' is only designed to keep the 'Honest People' out.....
Cheers

Rosco.....I think you probably mean the 'honest crooks' (oxymoron)......it is only the opportunistic crooks that are put off by the deterrent.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:58 pm

Our Camper Trailer is insured with Vero Insurance.

It is in a separate policy and like Gypsy said it's classed as Caravan/Trailers.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:26 pm

xmasbaby67 wrote:Our Camper Trailer is insured with Vero Insurance.

Never heard of Vero Insurance XB...who or where are they??
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby bonger » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:56 pm

Vero is an insurance brand that is owned by the Suncorp group when Suncorp bought out promina in 2007. They used to focus prmiarily in business insurance but they do more now
Mitsi Challenger, 06 Trackabout Deluxe Tourer, Wife, Child and Dog. Sometimes not in that order :P
bonger
Camping King

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:56 pm

Thanks Bonger :+

We have changed our Insurance agents this year and the new guys signed us up to this one as it was good value for money as all our "stuff" is done in a package. This includes all our business stuff, boat stuff, vehicles stuff, house stuff etc......on & on it goes.....
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to Camper Trailers