Location of underslung watertank?

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Location of underslung watertank?

Postby chippy 76 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:46 pm

Hey all

I am considering putting a plastic water tank under my CT. And I was wondering were under the trailer is the best spot? Where do most people have theirs mounted? At the rear, front or over the axle? If anyone has photos of how it is protected from underneath I would be keen to see that too.

Cheers Chippy :D
chippy 76
Captain Camping

Re: Location of underslung watertank?

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:02 am

It would depend on the size of the tank Chippy....anything larger than 60 litres it would be preferable to be over the axel. If this option is not available then towards the rear, but as close to the axel as possible.

Got to be careful about putting anything too much forward because of altering the ball weight too much.

Remember you still have battery/s etc that have to be added so keep all this in mind when planning where you are going to put things. Look at the big picture rather than each individual item.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby chippy 76 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:18 am

Good morning GypsyLady

They were similar to my thoughts. From memory the tank is 58L. I may push it towards the back of the trailer(perhaps in the box that exists) So that I can utilise the forward space for storage/kitchen. I am going to rearrange all the stuff on the drawbar, and maybe add a frame to take the gas bottle and jerry can holders a bit better. Putting the water tank at the rear should balance out the spare tyre at the front a bit better Im thinking .....

chippy 76
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:39 am

Just be mindful of that ball weight Chippy.....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby stevo. » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:27 am

ay Chippy, where did you/ or are you getting the tank from? I was thinking about putting one in the ute.

or anyone else know of somewhere good to get them from? any idea on prices? website link? :grin:
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:31 am

Camec is one place to buy these tanks....or maybe Coast to Coast.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby chippy 76 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:38 pm

stevo. wrote:ay Chippy, where did you/ or are you getting the tank from? I was thinking about putting one in the ute.

or anyone else know of somewhere good to get them from? any idea on prices? website link? :grin:

I saw some at BCF last time I was there ...didnt really have a good look, but at a glance they looked ok. I think Blueys ute world use to stock them too.

chippy 76
Captain Camping

Postby chippy 76 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:02 am

Okay, So I did some measuring last night and the tank will fit in the little box at the back of the CT (currently used for lockable storage) with some space to spare. I figure this gives me room to mount the water pump (shurflo) in there as well. The question is tho, how do I switch the pump on and off ??? I there some sort of switch i should use?

By mounting it at the back, I should be able to balance out my storage requirements inthe front.

chippy 76
Captain Camping

Postby chippy 76 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:39 pm

This is the box at the back of the CT where I will be mounting the water tank. I thought using the old box, gives it better protection from the "elements"

chippy 76
Captain Camping

Postby chippy 76 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:09 pm

Okay so on the weekend I had a chance to fold out the trailer and do some work. The water tank I have fits perfectly inside the box. Now to hook up the pump. After some investigations on the pump I discovered that it is an Auto on/off pump. That should make things a whole lot easier!
Heres some pics of how it looks.

chippy 76
Captain Camping

Postby stevo. » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:48 am

hah nice fit. Have you got the tank fixed down? Just thought it might bounce around and break the little tap off or something.
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby chippy 76 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:41 am

stevo. wrote:hah nice fit. Have you got the tank fixed down? Just thought it might bounce around and break the little tap off or something.

Stevo,
No I haven't secured it down yet. I intend to put some strapping over it to stop it from moving. Im trying to figure out where to run the filler to, as it is a pretty tight fit and I only want to drill ONE hole in the trailer ..... I have to go out and buy all the hose and stuff too. Next time I head into town I'll go and get some.

chippy 76
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:06 am

All coming together very nicely Chippy...
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby chippy 76 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:04 am

I have gutted the floor of the trailer in an effort to get the false floor put in. Rain has slowed all my progress tho. I have decided to centre the water tank at the back, as it is currently sitting to the right hand side. Pics to follow when I get a chance.

chippy 76
Captain Camping

Postby Cilla » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:07 am

Stevo, I'm not sure if you are still chasing a water tank, but BCF have one in their latest catalogue.
It's a 59l, 865 x 490 x 190mm.
$69.95 .. save $10

Good job Chippy!
Cilla
Boy Scout

Next

Return to Camper Trailers