Buying a second hand CT

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

Buying a second hand CT

Postby Serenity Now » Wed May 26, 2010 10:56 am

Hi,

As many CTs are for sale in QLD and i live in NSW what do you think i should do about possibly buying a CT without having seen it.

Would anyone buy one without sighting it.
Would you arrange for a professional to inspect it.

I can organise a family member to have a look but they would not be familiar with CTs.

I am looking at a couple of Customline CTs on ebay but like i said they are in QLD.

That visit north may be looming GL.
Serenity Now
Camping Veteran

Re: Buying a second hand CT

Postby GypsyLady » Wed May 26, 2010 11:47 am

I personally would not consider purchasing a CT without first looking at it SN. Not much sense in someone looking at it if they do not know what they are looking for either.

See if you can line up a couple to look at on the same weekend. My daughter looked at 3 private sale caravans on the one day and found the one she wanted.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed May 26, 2010 12:35 pm

I wouldn't buy it without seeing it first.

We have a Customline and purchased ours without going to QLD. We rang Ian and he found us one of his customers that had just purchased one that lived 2 hours from us and arranged for us to have a look at theirs. After seeing it and setting it up and asking the owners a million questions we rang Ian and ordered ours that day!!!!

Did you get to see the Customline display at the Sydney show?

Try ringing the companies that you really like and ask if they can arrange for you to see one close to you, you can even come and have a look at ours if you want to (we are about 3.5hrs from Sydney) that is if you are wanting to buy new, otherwise put a watch out on ebay and maybe a few other sites for when a second hand one comes up.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Serenity Now » Wed May 26, 2010 6:15 pm

I did get to the Sydney Supershow and was really happy with what i saw from Customline but i am looking as an option of buying second hand so i can get more inclusions for my budget.

I wouldn't be worried about placing an order over the phone for a new one,but possibly buying second hand i am hesitant to purchase without sighting it.Decisions,decisions.

XB...Thanks for the offer,you seem sooooo happy with your Customline.
Serenity Now
Camping Veteran

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed May 26, 2010 8:21 pm

Yes we do love our Customline SN, sorry tend to rave on a bit about how good it is. :lol:

I would definately look before buying second hand. Try putting wanted ads on Myswag.org, Campertrailers.org, Gumtree.com.au, 4x4 forums and of course here also put watches on ebay,ozation,rvpoint, trading post and any other sites that sell second hand CTs.

Have found though that CT's are tending to hold their value and are selling for not much less than they were bought for except for ones that are a bit older.

Good luck with your search it's not an easy decisions with sooooo many choices out there it tends to swamp you a bit. Keep us all updated with how it's all going.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Wed May 26, 2010 9:18 pm

Actually the Campertrailers site is a good suggestion SN; they have a Trader section on there as well.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Rosco532 » Thu May 27, 2010 1:10 pm

XB,,,,,,

Isn't it funny how the grass always looks greener on the other side.....when looking for vehicles I always think yours down Sth are cheaper than up here.....lol.....I actually SAVED $10,000 buying my Patrol from Melbourne...... Flew down,,,checked it out,,,,then drove it back on a permit which the seller paid for.
My Bro-in-Law comes from Perth to Melbourne / Sydney buying late model caravans.....drives back to Perth and still nets around $10,000 profit.......

Cheers
Rosco532
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu May 27, 2010 1:44 pm

We actually sold our Navara Dual Cab to a guy in Coffs Harbour and we didn't lose any money on it even though it was only 12mths old when we sold it and was in new condition and still under warranty.

Your bro in-law is onto a good thing there, maybe there are not many manufacturers of caravans over in WA?????

We found that the CT market was pretty much the same over the two states, and as a LOT of the manufacturers were in QLD we compared prices with the ones made in NSW & ones made in QLD and there was not any difference in the new CT market and it only cost us $330 to have it delivered from QLD to NSW, we couldn't drive up there and back for that!!!!!

Funny!!! Maybe because QLD is still warm and people are looking year round or maybe with all the grey nomads up your way at present they may be looking to upgrade while they are up that way?????
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Thu May 27, 2010 1:49 pm

xmasbaby67 wrote:
maybe with all the grey nomads up your way at present they may be looking to upgrade while they are up that way?????

The Grey nomads heading north for the winter would not even consider a CT...most are in caravans or motorhomes
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Thu May 27, 2010 2:07 pm

Sorry Gypsy I was meaning caravans, pop-tops etc like Roscoe has been looking for for his inlaws not CT's, I was just typing and not editing sorry guys. :lol:

Brain is not what it used to be???? ::()
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Thu May 27, 2010 2:35 pm

xmasbaby67 wrote:Brain is not what it used to be???? ::()

I can identify with that XB.....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby sienna » Thu May 27, 2010 11:20 pm

My ct is second hand and I'm really happy with it. I kept looking and checking all the places that have been mentioned above.
I would definitely look first then buy even when brand new. It's too much money to potentially be throwing away.
Also, it is handy to have demos on how to best set things up etc and try it out for yourself. I think the older cts have heavier canvas than some of the new ones so you have to be able to put it up easily enough. And you really want to check out the canvas itself and the trailer's condition etc.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Camper Trailers