rear and side folding CT

General Discussion, tips and questions and answer on Camper Trailers. Buy and sell below in Vehicles for Sale.

rear and side folding CT

Postby bex66 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:08 pm

Hi
Just read website extolling the virtues of a rear vs side folding CT.
Whilst I understand the logic of the sleeping arrangement not being the most practical in the side folding, in the link it did state that the side folding CT was "generally too big for many caravan parks" because of its shape. Can anyone advise me..... I have had a bit of a nightmare trying to track down the right CT because of my car only having a towing capacity of 600kg and the CT i have decided on is side folding ... if it turns out that side folding are not the go because of the shape I am well stumped. There is not alot of choice of Lightweight CT in WA.

Please advise me anyone who owns a side folder and if you can give me any benefits of the side folder that would be fab

Cheers again

Becky
bex66
Boy Scout

Re: rear and side folding CT

Postby hoadie72 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:17 pm

I really can't talk about the pros and cons of side folding CTs, however Oztrail make a range that start at 300kg including a trailer.

http://www.kangarootentcity.com.au/welcome/page43.php

And Oztrail's site.

http://www.oztrail.com.au/canvas-produc ... ler-tents/
Ben
hoadie72
Captain Camping

Postby Titch » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:19 pm

Ours is a light Oztrail 7. side folding. http://www.oztrail.com.au/canvas-produc ... T-07-C.php
Our last one was side folding ,but much bigger.
As for being too big because of shape! for a site, we never had a problem, quite the opposite.
When driving or reversing into a spot, its very easy to visualise the space needed.
Cannot comment on a rear folding, but when reversing my caravan ,I often have to get out to see the distance still behind me, hope that's clearer than mud.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby amanda » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:35 am

I have a side folding and have never had a problem about size on a site. Fully erected with the awning it measures 7m x 5m. Fully loaded with all my gear my CT comes in just under 500kg. Can't comment on rear folding as I've never used one.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby sienna » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:59 am

Have a side folding one and haven't had issues with fitting on a site. I did look at the oztrail rear fold 9 camper but decided that the tent section was long and narrow rather than wider. You see, you only get the width of the trailer in your tent bit so having a rear fold will only get you 4-5ft wide depending on your trailer whereas having a side fold gets you 6-7ft wide. I just felt that a side fold had better layout. I do understand the advantage of a rear fold in that you don't have to climb over the other person sleeping. But overall I think that having a little bit more usable space was the way to go.

Before you buy a camper 7 check it out cos I found it a little small and not tall enough. The camper 9 seemed to be the better option, imo.
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:49 am

I have owned both, the side fold is normally better for families as they are often bigger but in saying that, have a look at the rear fold camper that ModCon are doing.....definitely big enough for any family.

All soft floor campers can be a bit of a problem at a CP unless you can get into the tent/campground area. The majority of CP owners (espcially on the tourist strip) do not seem to understand the concept of having to peg down a soft floor camper even when you give them your required measurements.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:06 pm

We have a side-folding Customline CT and have never had a problem in any CP with space. We always stay in CP's at Xmas time on a powered site and so far so good.

Dont have any experience with rear folding so can't comment on them.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to Camper Trailers