Media Release re Fridge dangers spark safety warning

Bulletins, notices or alerts can be posted here. If it is specific to a region or community be sure to put the location n your heading (we will organise it by region if this sections grows).

Media Release re Fridge dangers spark safety warning

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:15 am

I am sure that most seasoned campers will know this already but for the new campers, please be advised. Cheers...

Media Release re Fridge dangers spark safety warning

Campers and holiday makers are being warned of the dangers of the incorrect use of portable gas fridges in the lead up to the busy summer holiday season.

Mines and Energy Minister Geoff Wilson said portable gas fridges could be dangerous if they were used in confined spaces.

"Tents, vehicles and caravans with no ventilation are danger zones for portable gas fridges," Mr Wilson said.

Minister Wilson said the Petroleum and Gas Inspectorate had issued a Safety Alert urging campers and holidaymakers to read the warning signs on appliances before use.

"The warning applies to portable gas refrigerators, as well as gas barbecues and portable gas heaters," he said.

The Petroleum and Gas Inspectorate has issued a direction that requires suppliers to fit additional safety warnings with greater visibility on portable gas fridges.

"The fridges are very convenient but people should be more aware of the risks of operating them outside their intended use or specifications," Mr Wilson said.

"Many portable fridge units use three-way operating systems (12 volt, 240 volt and LPG) and look like eskies.

"The point of difference is that portable fridges are not intended for use in confined spaces because they can generate high concentrations of carbon monoxide gas.

"The gas combustion-driven refrigeration process can use up the oxygen in a confined space leading to lethal quantities of carbon monoxide in that space.

"Carbon monoxide is colourless, odourless and can result in death when inhaled in relatively small concentrations."

A man died earlier this year from lethal gas poisoning. He was found dead in his vehicle near Tully in north Queensland. A forensic report established the cause of death as carbon monoxide poisoning.

"The report found his death may have been caused by a portable gas fridge inside his vehicle.

"Tests are currently being carried out to determine the rate of carbon monoxide generation by this type of portable fridge.

"In the lead up to the summer holiday season, people need to be more aware of the limitations and risks associated with gas appliances to avoid further tragedies."
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer
 
Posts: 8589
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:50 am
Location: SEQld

Postby Troyk » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:09 pm

What ever happened to good old common sense. I use a 3 way and never even thought of using it that way!
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
User avatar
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy
 
Posts: 1285
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:47 pm
Location: Somewhere Else!

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:16 pm

Troyk wrote:What ever happened to good old common sense. I use a 3 way and never even thought of using it that way!


It's the same as using gas heaters inside the tent etc. It is amazing how many people are not aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Apparently there was almost a whole family who perished at Flanghans a few years back because they used a gas heater inside their tent. Only one or two of the children survived. It was a real tragedy.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer
 
Posts: 8589
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:50 am
Location: SEQld

Postby Troyk » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:30 pm

gypsylady wrote:
Troyk wrote:What ever happened to good old common sense. I use a 3 way and never even thought of using it that way!


It's the same as using gas heaters inside the tent etc. It is amazing how many people are not aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Apparently there was almost a whole family who perished at Flanghans a few years back because they used a gas heater inside their tent. Only one or two of the children survived. It was a real tragedy.


Yeah, I rememeber that. Was about 20 years ago. I think it was a baby that survived. Bloody awful.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
User avatar
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy
 
Posts: 1285
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:47 pm
Location: Somewhere Else!

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:47 pm

Troyk wrote:[Yeah, I rememeber that. Was about 20 years ago. I think it was a baby that survived. Bloody awful.


Was it that long ago?? It has only come to my attention in the last few years. I also thought I read something about it on the internet but can't seem to find the article now.

Whilst some people may be aware of the dangers relating to gas heaters in confined spaces, I doubt they think of fridges and stoves in the same way. Especially people new to camping and I think it is something that some of us might even forget from time to time.

I personally only run 12 volt fridges but there are a lot of campers out there who run 3 ways. Cheers....
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer
 
Posts: 8589
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:50 am
Location: SEQld

Postby Komodo » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:26 pm

Yes its actually quite scary the number of people who dont know / think of the dangers involved using many of the things we take for granted whilst camping.

Ive seen more than one tarp go up in flames over a cooking area because it was too close to the gas stove.

Ive seen children playing with axes on numerous occasions - once resulting in a piece of wood lodging up in another bystanding childs eyesocket narrowly missing the childs eye.

So I can easily see how these type of activities could take place.
Image
A place I'd rather be...
Mitchel Road, Bomjinna. Central West Victoria (Jan '08)
User avatar
Komodo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?
 
Posts: 846
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 1:35 pm
Location: Frankston South [VIC]

Postby Troyk » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:02 pm

gypsylady wrote:
Troyk wrote:[Yeah, I rememeber that. Was about 20 years ago. I think it was a baby that survived. Bloody awful.


Was it that long ago?? It has only come to my attention in the last few years. I also thought I read something about it on the internet but can't seem to find the article now.



Sometimes the details get blurred but what I remember was that is was a long weekend, really cold, possibly Queens Birthday, and they used a gas heater inside the tent, CO poisoning. It was around the mid 1980's. I have to admit I haven't heard it for long time, it was a real talking point when it happened.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
User avatar
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy
 
Posts: 1285
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:47 pm
Location: Somewhere Else!

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:08 am

[/quote]

Sometimes the details get blurred but what I remember was that is was a long weekend, really cold, possibly Queens Birthday, and they used a gas heater inside the tent, CO poisoning. It was around the mid 1980's. I have to admit I haven't heard it for long time, it was a real talking point when it happened.[/quote]

I knew all of that but thought it was not as long back as the 80s.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer
 
Posts: 8589
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:50 am
Location: SEQld

test

Postby Activity_Dept » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:51 pm

test1
The admin guy.
Discover Camping
User avatar
Activity_Dept
Site Admin
 
Posts: 453
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:42 am
Location: Gold Coast

Postby Troyk » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:53 pm

yep it worked.
Never argue with a fool! They drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience!

2007 Outlander, 2005 MODCON Redlander, 2003 DMH Overlander and four human Redlanders!
User avatar
Troyk
Camping Forum trip organiser and all round nice guy
 
Posts: 1285
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:47 pm
Location: Somewhere Else!

Postby Mullie Grub Clan » Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:29 am

Troy, thank god you are still here to tell the story.
Cheers
Chick
It's all about Beer, Hubbie, Fishing, Camping, Kids & Boating.. Oh and Me
Mullie Grub Clan
Camping Veteran
 
Posts: 177
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:55 pm
Location: Redlands / Brisbane

Postby Scolers » Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:06 pm

Mullie Grub Clan wrote:Troy, thank god you are still here to tell the story.
Cheers
Chick


Yeah ... someone needs to buy the beers!

:beer

Scol.
Scolers
Apprentice Grey Nomad
 
Posts: 1469
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:32 pm
Location: Not in residence


Return to Bulletins, Notice or Alerts

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

cron