Weekenders from Perth (Bunbury and Bussleton)

Weekenders from Perth (Bunbury and Bussleton)

Postby markcrook » Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:25 pm

After my last campsite review (viewtopic.php?f=62&t=3698) I thought I would be a bit more positive and tell you about a couple of parks that we love.

Peppermint Park Eco Village, Busselton, WA http://www.peppermintpark.com.au/

This is a great place to stay; it is about 4 hours South of Perth, between Busselton and Dunsborough on the edge of the Margaret River wine region.

It gets its name from all the peppermint gums scattered around the park. These provide a home for possums, which you can see in the trees as it goes dark (just watch out for their personal reticulation), and also you can see Bandicoots running around.

The park is immaculately kept, and provides beautifully grassed tent sites, en suite sites and cabins. There are no residential vans. There are gas BBQs and picnic tables all around the park and the camp kitchen is clean, spacious and very well appointed. There is also a games room and kids play area.

The park has 2 swimming pools, which were new at the end of last year.

The showers and toilet blocks are all modern, well maintained and most importantly clean. There are laundry facilities attached.

The Owners/Managers walk around, chat and just make sure everybody is happy and that things are good. One time when it was very windy we got back to find that he had made sure the tent was secure and nothing was blowing away – now that’s what I call good.

The roads are paved and make a good cycle track for the kids, helmets must be warn, there are drive through sites for vans.

The park also goes quiet by about 9.30-10pm, even when there have been groups, everybody seems to have respect for each other as well as the environment, yet it still retains a relaxed, welcoming and friendly feel.

Overall I would highly recommend this park, the biggest downside is that it is a bit to far to go for the weekend. So for a weekends camping we head to…

Bunbury Glade Caravan Park, Bunbury, WA http://www.glade.com.au/

We went to this site a few times last year and always had a really good time, then we kind of lost touch with it until about 2 weeks a go. It is great but on a couple of occasions it did take 10 to get to the toilet/showers – as everybody is so friendly you just keep stopping to chat!

The site I well maintained, there are residential vans, but all are well maintained and seem to take pride in the park. The powered tent and van sites are grass, which is obviously well watered and looked after. The roads are gravel. Some of the powered sites are drive through. There is a swimming pool, which is landscaped with rocks and palms. A new fenced of kids play area (we kept trying to lock our kids in but they kept escaping!).

There isn’t a camp kitchen but there are 3 or 4 BBQ areas with picnic tables and sinks with very hot water. All the BBQs we used were clean and did get hot.

The toilets and showers are older, but all very well maintained and clean. There were some problems with the sinks blocking in the ladies but once reported these were soon fixed. The laundries are attached to the ablution blocks. There are also plenty of lines.

The park is very friendly, well maintained and a great place to stay to visit the region it is close to a shopping centre and bottle shop! It is also opposite the Bunbury Race Track (horses), which on our last visit had races and live music until about 11pm which we could here. Otherwise the park is very quiet and peaceful.

We will definitely be going back.
Knock me down I get right back up again,
Come back stronger than a powered-up Pac Man
markcrook
Blatant Padder

Re: Weekenders from Perth (Bunbury and Bussleton)

Postby rocane » Tue Apr 21, 2009 3:17 am

We recently stayed at Bunbury Glade Caravan Park for the easter break. There were 3 couples staying in an ensuite cabin. We actually found the cabin to be quite comfortable if not a little challenging. There wasn't enough information on the web site to explain the configuration of the cabin and although we knew it had fixed bunk beds at one end we thought that would be fine as we are fairly nimble and didn't anticipate there being a problem getting on to the bunk beds. Well...there wouldn't have been a problem if the ladder extended higher than the base of the top bunk!
In general the park is clean and well maintained. The grassed areas were green and the BBQ's were clean and well maintained.
I can't comment on the ablution blocks as we pretty much just used the ensuite.
The position of the park in relation to Bunbury was great and we enjoyed the short walk across the road to the Bunbury Races.
There is a good sized shopping centre close by and although we were backing on to the main road we didn't find the traffic noise too intrusive at night.
All in all we found it to be a good park.
There are a few negatives though. We weren't told until the day after we got there that you can only park one vehicle per cabin. This made it difficult to access our car fridges and gear that we left in our cars for our short stay.
We found the staff in the office to be pleasant and helpful in general but due to the owner's rude and aggressive manner we won't be staying there again.
rocane

Return to Western Australia