VIC - Dando's Camping Ground - Otways

VIC - Dando's Camping Ground - Otways

Postby MD23 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:32 am

This is my first post here :hello: because I feel compelled to warn others about Dando's Camping Ground near Gellibrand, Victoria.

We're a family of 5 with 3 young boys and over Easter we set off on our first ever camping trip with friends.

Unfortunately our first experience at camping was not a good one and we'll probably never do it again unless it's in a park with an on site manager and Police nearby.

The camping ground was beautiful, well except for the 'p.o.o-pit' toilets which with around 200 campers and only 2 toilets you could imagine how revolting they were.

But that's not what I feel compelled to write about...

we either chose a very bad time of the year to go there or these types of 'people' have claimed Dando's but their behaviour and total disregard for anyone around them ruined not only our Easter break but a lot of other campers.

Put aside the shockingly loud buzz of trail bikes and the hordes of dogs that wander about all day and night (and they're the 'friendly' ones), other dogs who obviously weren't as friendly were tethered to trees without any concern for the children running through camp sites...but the real 'fun' began at night, when normal people have no way of 'escape'.

Camp fires were lit and accelerants and aerosol cans were then thrown onto them & one group thought it would be great fun to see just how big they could get their camp fire.

At different intervals during the night the dogs would start fighting. It was then you'd hear, "OI..GETOUTTAIT" yelled by a drunken reveller, dogs yelping and promises to pay the vet bills of the injured dog.

Another group decided to play every Aussie rock song ever made at FULL ALL NIGHT even after being asked by another camper to turn it off in the early hours only to become beligerant and abusive (and that was just the female of the group). They finally turned it off at 7a.m and they kept on drinking just as their children were waking for Easter Sunday...at least they got some sleep, unlike the rest of us.

My husband got up to find one absolutely inebriated, stinking fool trying to get into our tent.

This lot then proceeded to drink more and stagger around the sites showing each other how drunk they were and how incredibly funny it was that they were still drinking.

We heard about people who had left early because of these 'bogans' and we were glad to get out of there ourselves.

If you're after a B&S ball/ute muster kind of feel to your camping trip then I suggest you go to Dando's.
If like us, you want somewhere beautiful, safe and family friendly then give this place a huge miss.

Let the bogans have Dando's...we will never go back.
MD23

Re: VIC - Dando's Camping Ground - Otways

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:25 am

I don't personally know the area as I live in Qld but I do believe you probably picked the worst time of year to camp in a venue like this.

We have a few places in SEQ which are quite delightful but they are also campgrounds that I personally would never go to at Easter time. For some reason everyone goes camping over Easter and as you discovered, the yobbos as well.

Please don't let this one bad experience put you off camping.....give it another go or two or three. I am sure you will find some fantastic places to camp....I personally recommend privately run campgrounds.

I am sorry your first experience was a bad one MD23.....the good thing from here is that they can only get better:-))

BTW...WELCOME to the forum.

Cheers Gypsy.....

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby amanda » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:38 am

Sorry to hear you had a rough time of it. As Gypsy said, please don't let it turn you off completely. There are some absolutely beautiful places in that neck of the woods, and I hope you give it another go without these types of idiots around to spoil it for you and your family.
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt - then it's bloody hilarious!
amanda
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby slug » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:45 pm

Its sad to say but yes, Dandos does attract this sort of crowd. I dont know if its becasue of the location or what. I am a proud 4wder and like to think we respect the place but there will always be some people who turn up and act like that, never forget though 4wds, some are on bikes, some are even in 2wd cars. We seem to get the bad name though. Parks Vic and some 4wd clubs run a camp host program where the club sets up and keep and eye on things. They dont have any power to do anything but have a good relationship with the rangers and police in the area, its usually long weekends.

Sorry to hear about your bad experiece, it can be a great spot.
slug
Captain Camping

Postby Lost Man » Tue May 11, 2010 2:13 pm

I had a similar experience at Coopers Creek camp ground. It just the luck of the draw. Somtimes you have to camp near ferals. It also depends on what time of the year you go and where you go.
Lost Man
Camping King

Return to Victoria