Wombeyan Caves - October Long Weekend

Wombeyan Caves - October Long Weekend

Postby bockstar » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:16 pm

2 Reports in one night!!!!

Spent a wet weekend at the campground at Wombeyan Caves, NSW. The road in a 40km dirt road that passes another place - Wollondilly Camp Ground. Took a peek at the Caves. Spectacular as usual - saw Junction, Fig Tree and one other (name escapes me)

Wombeyan is a wonderful place and I'd encourage any to get down (or up) there and take it in. There are a number of Caravan sites (which we were in), a number of powered sites and a stack of unpowered sites. Opportunities for campfires in designated fire rings. Plenty of kangaroos bouncing around the place. A really nice place

If you squint, you can spot the Espresso machine!!!

The new rig and C/T (note the Nissan softroader in the background... :P )

Thanks,
Challenge C/T - Offroad, Softfloor camper
Tool box, Water Tank, Gas Bottle, Kitchen on tailgate, 10Ft Tent
bockstar
Captain Camping

Re: Wombeyan Caves - October Long Weekend

Postby Blue Bravo » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:08 pm

Looks like it was a little damp and cold. Mrs Bravo and I stayed home for the long weekend. Being members of the leisure class now we leave long weekends for the workers :lol:
Glenn
A member of the leisure class
Blue Bravo
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby bockstar » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:41 pm

Blue Bravo wrote:Looks like it was a little damp and cold. Mrs Bravo and I stayed home for the long weekend. Being members of the leisure class now we leave long weekends for the workers :lol:

Thanks Glenn
;)

We yearn to be a part of the "leisure class"...
bockstar
Captain Camping

Postby mummeee74 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:33 pm

Love Wombeyan caves, we were there earlier this year, freezing ofcourse! But great Autumn colours.

Just wondering how the road was from Mittagong? We usually travel down to Goulburn and back up, we found it quicker overall. Although it's been probably 20yrs since we went on the road from Mittagong, so perhaps it's been improved? I just found the whole passing another car nerve-wrecking with the cliff edge out my window!

And very jealous you can get your CT into those caravan spots, don't think our 2WD could mount that kerb. Last time we were there we camped on the other side near the non-powered, there is about 4 powered connections over there but the connections look prehistoric and ours was tripped the first night and of course no-one was around to rectify it till the morning - very cold night!! Although at least the things in the fridge stayed cold!

Really a great spot for the kids too :grin:
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby bockstar » Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:18 pm

mummeee74 wrote:Love Wombeyan caves, we were there earlier this year, freezing ofcourse! But great Autumn colours.

Just wondering how the road was from Mittagong? We usually travel down to Goulburn and back up, we found it quicker overall. Although it's been probably 20yrs since we went on the road from Mittagong, so perhaps it's been improved? I just found the whole passing another car nerve-wrecking with the cliff edge out my window!

And very jealous you can get your CT into those caravan spots, don't think our 2WD could mount that kerb. Last time we were there we camped on the other side near the non-powered, there is about 4 powered connections over there but the connections look prehistoric and ours was tripped the first night and of course no-one was around to rectify it till the morning - very cold night!! Although at least the things in the fridge stayed cold!

Really a great spot for the kids too :grin:

We left via the road from Taralaga and Goulburn. I've done both the road in and out via Mittagong and I'd have to say that it would be quicker going via Mittagong.

The road in from Mittagong is a longish dirt road. It's not overly bad in any section, just long - we were a bit over it by the end. It's winding and care should be taken although it's not totally treacherous. I've done the Bridle Track near Bathurst and there's sections of that I wouldn't do with a trailer.

The suggestion would be to do it at night, then you don't see the drop offs!!!

Re. the powered sites. Where we were situated is the old school carvan sites - a bit inappropriate for the C/Ts but we coped. You could mount the gutter with a well placed half brick or rock. Would actually prefer to be over near the other powered sites so a fire could be close by.
bockstar
Captain Camping

Postby mummeee74 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:33 pm

True we were closer to the fires, shame we didn't bring any firewood DOH!!

We'll be back next Autumn probably WITH the firewood :grin:
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Jo&Kev » Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:03 pm

We were down that way over the weekend. The run from Mittagong to the Wollondilly River is far better than the run from the Goulburn side to the river. By that I mean the road is smoother and and there are less fallen rocks on the Mittagong side.

That said friends drove from the Mittagong side in a lowered Mitsubishi Mirage!
Our blog - with bigger pics!
http://actnswcamping.blogspot.com/
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby Bradd » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:24 pm

I will be going to Wombeyan Caves in a couple of weeks. (approx 10th - 11th Jan)
Comming from the south, surely it wouldn't be worth the extra 60+ km to go the other way ?
Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby mummeee74 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:31 pm

So Brad you are going via Goulburn? Personally I don't think the view on the Mittagong Rd is worth it and really we had our eyes on the road constantly, no chance to appreciate the view anyway. Lots of dips and blind corners. If you google earth it and follow the road you can see how windy it is and someone has posted a photo of the sign warning of the blind corners. I know lots of people do drive it and it's a choice we prefer to avoid it. The caves are great, I am sure you will have a great trip :)
mummeee74
Post Machine!

Postby Bradd » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:19 pm

Will be coming from Canberra, so Golburn way is shortest.
Might go out the other way to go into Sydney for a day trip.
When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong. ~George Carlin
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby Jo&Kev » Thu Dec 24, 2009 1:45 pm

Bradd

The road from Tarago to the Caves is not too bad. It is lkely to be slippery if it's wet but it looked to have been recently graded when we went through. The part of the road that is a bit ordinary is the section between the Caves and the river. There were a fair number of fallen rocks on the road. There a number of tight bits where it is single vehicle only. There are few, if any safety rails and some rather sheer drop-offs.

Two things to consider - the clearance of your car (can you straddle a rock without damaging the something on the undercarriage, particularly if you are 'forced' to by an oncoming vehicle?) and do you intend driving the part of the road from the Cave to the river?

Kev
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby Bradd » Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:48 pm

Driving a 2000 Pajero Wagon & Camper Trailer
Coming from Cotter Reserve ACT
http://tinyurl.com/cottertowombeyan

I assume you mean the Wollondilly River ?
I was thinking of going that way on the way out.
Day trip into Sydney and next Stop of trip is likely Bendeela
Wombeyan to Bendeela is 181km Via Golburn and 113 km via Berrima

Will likely ask at local tourist info / servo / pub etc once I am close to turn off.
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby Jo&Kev » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:22 am

The Wollondilly River is the one I mean.

Given the amount of rain that we have had up this way I wouldn't even hazard a guess as to the road conditions down there now. Rain has a fair sort of an effect on the road and does cause an increase in falling rocks on the section between the caves and the river. Not likely that you will be hit by one, but more than likely that you will have to go around them.

The river should actually be a river this time. When we were down there it was a series of swimming holes really. On the river to Mittagong the falls were all dry - you might be luck and see them 'falling.'

The Pajero and trailer will be fine. We do it in a Land Rover Discovery with no dramas, other than those in little cars trying to get around fallen rocks and 4WD folks who seem to think that it is a 4WD racetrack!

Cheers
Kev
Jo&Kev
Post Machine!

Postby Bradd » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:11 am

Thanks for the advice.
We are not in a hurry so will just take our time and enjoy the scenery (including falling rocks).
If we have to turn back, I have alternative camp sites to go to.
Bradd
Camping Oracle

Postby Davey G » Mon May 31, 2010 4:31 pm

Hi. Sorry to drag up an old thread however we're looking to head to Wombeyan in a couple of weeks time. Does anyone know whether the cabins down there are OK? We're not taking the tent this time (wife and kids are warm weather campers only!).

Thanks in anticipation..
Davey G

Next

Return to NSW