QLD - Cressbrook Dam

QLD - Cressbrook Dam

Postby Lockyer » Wed May 23, 2012 9:59 am

Cressbrook Dam is approx 50 klm's north of Toowoomba and 40 klm's west of Esk, the camp ground is owned and run by the Toowoomba Regional Council. There is a boom gate at the entrance with a $2-50 fee everytime you enter. Camping fee's can be found here http://www.toowoombarc.qld.gov.au/facil ... brook.html
No domestic pets are allowed and you must also bring your own firewood - Generator's are NOT permitted !! There is no kiosk at the camp ground and no shop nearby so if you need ice you have to go to Crows Nest approx 16 klm's away and remember everytime you enter you have to pay the boom fee.
We arrived Saturday morning it was a beautiful sunny day and soon had our camper setup and were sitting back enjoying a coffee, soon we made ourselves some lunch and then went off for an afternoon of geocaching around Crows Nest and Peachey with a quick stop at the local bottle shop for some extra supplies (port)
cressy 001 (640x480).jpg

cressy 002 (640x480).jpg

This is the area for CT's and caravan's - there is only 5 sites plus another couple alittle further around the road, it has some great view's of the dam plus the roo's and deer will visit you (as long as no-one is running a gennie!!)
It was cold Saturday night and with clear skies, we sat around our little fire and watched for satalites, even the port was stuggling to keep me warm, normally you will get a few visitors to your camp site ie possum's and bandicoots, it is the only place I have camped where bandicoots have walked up to our camp looking for hand out's but this night no-one popped in to say hello maybe the GENERATOR was scaring them!!!
cressy 003 (640x480).jpg

Sunday morning was cold and sunny and the coffee tasted great, I soon had the bacon and egg's and fried tomato cooking, we headed up for a quick shower and then dressed to head off to the Hampton Wine and Food Festival - wow what a day, it blew my mind, I thought there will be a few hundred people if that and when we arrived just after 10 am and had to park 2 klm away I soon changed my mind, the wife brought a engraved glass ($4) and went from tasting to tasting even now and then coming back to ask for more money..the food stands were amazing....slow roast pork belly..MMmmmmmmmmm, fresh fruit, fresh cooked pizza's, cake's . Next year we should all try to make it to this festival, what some local's do is grab a large table and then one goes off and buy';s some fresh baked sour dough rolls and another then goes off and buy's either a bottle of wine or just glasses and then another goes off and gets BBQ rib's and they shared the food and wine and had a wonderful time listening to the music. We had a wonder time at the festival and will be going back again.
cressy 005 (640x480).jpg

There are 2 toilets and 2 showers so on a busy weekend you may have to wait, there's bench sitting outside, toilets are flush loo's and the showers are gas hotwater, they are cleaned daily by the rangers, also note we didn't have any mobile phone reception at the camp ground - but the guy running the GENERATOR did he had a large black antenna on his van with a lead to his phone.
cressy 004 (640x480).jpg

The camp kitchen has 2 gas BBQ's and power points for kettle's or a toaster, there is a stink - very deep with hot water to wash up and plenty of table space, we cooked our steak and dinner here on Sunday night as our gas bottle run out while doing breaky.
We stayed on until Monday and had planned to do some bush walking Sunday arvo but by the time we left the festival and then we went to Highfields and brought candles and gord's and coffee and cake we run out of time. So Monday morning we did a short walk while waiting for our hot cross bun's to warm up for breaky and to let the camper dry out from the dew.

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lawrence
You don't have to live forever.....you just have to live.
Lockyer
Camping Veteran

Re: QLD - Cressbrook Dam

Postby dicko77 » Wed May 23, 2012 1:52 pm

Good report mate that looks like one to check out :beer
dicko77
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Wed May 23, 2012 8:15 pm

So Locky....are you saying that whilst generators are not permitted, a camper actually broke the rule and ran his gennie??....with what appears to be No consequences!!

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lockyer » Thu May 24, 2012 8:06 am

GypsyLady wrote:So Locky....are you saying that whilst generators are not permitted, a camper actually broke the rule and ran his gennie??....with what appears to be No consequences!!

Basicly GL that's what happened, the ranger told us he couldn't do anything while it wasn't running and they would switch it off when they saw the ranger approaching.
Even after we spoke with the offending van owner about the noise and rules, he couldn't give a stuff, his thoughts were I haven't got solar I have a generator.

And this is what p*ss me off the most! They didn't care about rules or if was bothering anyone or what the ranger said, I hope they never come back to here again

Cheers
Lawrence
Lockyer
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Thu May 24, 2012 9:45 am

That is very disappointing.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:49 pm

Great pics and report Lockyer!!!!! :cheers

Maybe you need to learn how to be a gennie ninja... :twisted: SABOTAGE!!!!!

Na sorry mate didn't see anything and na sorry don't know anything about gennies or how to fix them!!!!

Looks like a great spot in spite of the gennie moron.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Rosco1 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:08 pm

Shame the ''Gennie Guy'' didn't tuck himself into the corner site with the Gennie on the other side of their camper...might have been abit quieter......

I personally have no problems with generators... as long as they turn off around 9ish..(The new ones are so quiet now-days anyway)

What I do have a problem with is......You mentioned that its ''Not Pet Friendly''.....Thats us out :(

Otherwise...Great report & pics thanks Lockyer

Cheers
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:57 pm

None of the dams to my knowledge in the SE corner are Pet Friendly. Not sure why or what they think the pets will do!!!

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lockyer » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:19 am

GypsyLady wrote:None of the dams to my knowledge in the SE corner are Pet Friendly. Not sure why or what they think the pets will do!!!

The flea and tick treatment is deadly to fish....and how do I know this..I'm in a stocking group and while getting ready to do a fingerling release, dept of fisheries came along to inspect the fingerling's and at the same time a little red car pulled up and a lady with 3 dogs got out and basicly walked along the edge of the dam throwing stocks into the water for the dogs to retrieve, even thro there was a sign stating no dog's but it wasn't policed and the local's knew this.

Well the fisheries guy's wouldn't let the hatchery unload any fingerling's that day and we found out later most of the fingerlings died heading back to the hatchery(dirty water in the tank from fish waste) but we did get to release fingerlings into the dam about a week later.
Lawrence
Lockyer
Camping Veteran

Return to Queensland