Carnarvan Gorge - Takaraka Resort

Carnarvan Gorge - Takaraka Resort

Postby jeni99 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:59 pm

Well, we had a great weekend trip!

It was quite a drive (5hrs!) but well worth it. The dirt track at the end was quite an adventure in a loaded up kia carnival but we made it - I'm pretty sure 5mins of rain and we wouldn't have though! lol
First stop was a plane crash from WWII - unexpected but pretty cool! The kids loved it!
Next was the Takarraka resort to set up camp. There were toilets and showers - nice ones too, with Hot water! There is a communal kitchen and campfire area, near there as well, but we didnt' partake as there really wasn't that much space. They also offered a spitroast on the first night we were there - much too expensive for us though! The store was okay, had the essentials! But there is also another 'resort' down the road with a restaurant and bar...

We got a powered site, so we could charge up the electrical equipment, which was more structured then the camping area. Our tarp was only about a meter in from the logs marking the edge of the campsite (the tarp is about 6mx6m). There is no pets allowed.

There are heaps and heaps of walks and no way two days is enough to see everything.
The first afternoon we went on the first two short walks, Baloon Cave and Mikey Creek - amazing! We kept going past the structured paths and OMG!
The next day we went on the big walk (about 4ks from the camp). We only went halfway - considering we had the boys 5, 6, and 11yo with us. It was still a bit much and the 14km total for the walk took us from 8am to 3pm! We saw heaps of things - amazing stuff! Poor JD missed out on the amphitheatre as he was too scared to climb up the ladders... hell, even I was shaking!

That night we popped up to the lookout and the platypus pond (no platypus that night) which was lovely.

Very sad to go the next day - I really could have stayed a week! We picked up a hat and a fridge magnet at the store!

It was freezing and the blow-up beds were freezing! I ended up putting one of the doonas underneath us which helped soo much, but damn was it cold! lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeni
jeni99
Boy Scout

Re: Carnarvan Gorge - Takaraka Resort

Postby Titch » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:02 pm

Looks and sounds Fantastic, :cheers
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:49 am

Yep....that's the secret Jeni with air beds in winter.....insulatation......under on on top.

I imagine CG will be on your list of must visit again places....glad to hear it was such a success.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:02 am

Sounds like a great trip Jeni!!! :armsup

Thanks for the review, it looks just gorgeous. :+
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to Queensland