Maroon Dam QLD

Maroon Dam QLD

Postby elpaulos » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:17 pm

Not long back from Marron dam between Boonah and Rathdowney.

There are 2 campgrounds, one near the main office and one on a sloping paddock. Flushable toilets (which are cleaned daily) and showers are located near the office block. On the paddock there's portaloos.

The main attraction is obvioulsy the dam, but if you drive along the road that cuts through the campground, there are a few cool waterholes. Very nice place to read a book and let the kids throw rocks in the creek.

We paid 8 bucks per person and found it all resonable. It's only 23kms to Boonah to shop and get supplies. There are a few powered sites (not sure how much they are) and no generators are allowed. Who needs a latte anyway!!

The biggest question was which part of the sloping grounds to camp on. If you want to sleep in the trees on the eastern ridge are high enough to keep the sun at bay till about 830 am. But you get full arvo sun till 5pm. We went for the western side and the tarp held out till 730 am!!

The biggest drawback are the neighbouring cows who come on site to leave dung hills, which of coursebrings flies by the trillion. I spoke to the owner, who assures me the cow grates are on their way.

I would definately go back there. We were all there for 6 nights and the time flew by. Just have that insect repellant handy......
91 Landcruiser.
elpaulos
Camping Veteran

Return to Queensland