Qld - Archer Camping Ground, Mt Mee State Forest

Qld - Archer Camping Ground, Mt Mee State Forest

Postby offroader » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:21 am

Archer is one of the best camping areas I've been to :D . Booking is essential as there are only 9 campsites, and very well spread out, but, speaking with the Park Rangers it is allways full on weekends. By the way the Rangers are very friendly and only too willing to give advice and / or chat.

The facilities there were spotless when I arrived on Thursday :!: , and I had the place to myself untill Friday afternoon. If you go there you will need to bring your own bush shower, but there is a large cubicle in the facilities block with a hook and rope to help you get a good shower.

The drinking water is provided from a rainwater tank next to the facilities block and appears a little brackish, but it's fresh and will not give you any ill affects. There are taps around the campsites which draw from Neurum Creek, which runs along the campsite, but this water is NOT for drinking.

Neurum Creek is a beautiful and tranquil creek with turtles and if you are very quiet in the early mornings you will see a platypus in the swimming hole at the northern end of the camp ground.

The snorting of feral pigs at night took a little getting used to :evil: , but you do get used to it.

If you get the chance, pre book yoiur site and go. I noticed on the website that it is already heavily booked for the Christmas period.

There are some fantastic 4WD tracks through Mt Mee, a Permit to Traverse will be required for most of them. They range from very easy :) to extreme :shock: .

Some photos to come soon.
offroader
Last edited by offroader on Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
offroader
Boy Scout

Archer Camping Ground, Mt Mee State Forest

Postby champir » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:04 pm

Was up at Archer on the weekend and it was deserted on a sunday at 12 noon. It was a wet day so everyone may have packed up early.

The camp ground was in need of a mow but look quite good otherwise.
Creek was flowing well and and the swimming holes in the forest all looked ery good.

As far as I could see none of the sites at Archer were suitable for a camper trailer.

Wet weekends are by far the best time for 4wding in Mt Mee S.F. :P
champir

Re: Qld - Archer Camping Ground, Mt Mee State Forest

Postby Kit_e » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:32 pm

Perfect for a camper trailer:

This the weekend just gone ...

Kit_e

TIP: Centre bollard in camp # 9 comes out of the ground for a side fold to gain acess ...
Kit_e

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:00 pm

Is it pet friendly Kit_e??
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby mojon » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:44 am

Archer is a great spot, we have camped there a few times, although probably not for 2 or 3 years now. I seem to recall camp site 9 being the best one - quite big and right next to the water hole.

I can't recall if pets were ever allowed, however it seems that area has now become the D'Aguilar National Park (I think it used to be Mt Mee State Forest), so definitely no pets now.

Here's the website http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/parks/daguilar/camping.html#archer_campground
Cheers,
Sean

(Login was mojo, but with the new website I somehow ended up as mojon ...)
mojon

Postby GypsyLady » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:52 pm

Thanks mojon....I did have my doubts.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Return to Queensland