Need some tent advice...

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Re: Need some tent advice...

Postby Malcolm F » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:38 am

xmasbaby67 wrote:How was the trip Malcolm????
Hope it all went great :cheers

The trip was great and a very successful trial of the new tent. I went with two mates (who had a luxurious camper trailer!) to Lake Eildon National Park Candlebark site. Of the 70 allocated sites only 5, including our two, were occupied so we had front row on the lake and all the amenities to ourselves! The weather was perfect for the 5 days we were there - 25 during the day down to 6 at night.

The tent went up relatively easily (better than my first attempt anyway) and as the sole occupant I had enough space to swing several cats! As we had no rain or significant wind the tent had no real challenges to face other than the stony ground, which even after raking had plenty of small sharp stones...

It is 18 years since I last camped so I was a bit rusty although nothing was forgotten or left behind.. What I did realise is that I need a self inflating mat for my stretcher bed as the canvas is so tight as to be quite hard on my rapidly ageing bones! I also need to make provision for cooking in wet weather as I don't particularly want to cook in the front section of the tent. I am thinking of something fairly simple using poles and tarps I already have but may also consider one of the large "event" shelters which could also cover the front section of the tent.

Only a couple of minor niggles with the tent itself which is very strong and well constructed.
1) No hanging point for a light in the front section
2) The tie loops for the rolled up front door are particularly fiddly and difficult to use - just need to be longer
3) The ferrules on the poles catch in the fabric tunnels as the tent is erected. The front edge of the ferule needs to be bevelled
Otherwise really pleased with the purchase and can't wait for the next trip after Christmas!

Cheers, Malcolm

Malcolm F

Postby xmasbaby67 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:30 am

Great report Malcolm!!!! :armsup

Glad to hear the tent went well and the weather was kind to you.

Lake Eildon is on our bucket list to visit as we love Victoria.

Thanks for the pics too, the Lake looks just beautiful with ALL that water in it!!!!!
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:34 pm

I agree with XB....great pics and report Malcolm, thank you.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Previous

Return to Gear Guide