Solar Panel Charger from Mitre 10

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Solar Panel Charger from Mitre 10

Postby xmasbaby67 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:31 am

Just wondering if these are any good?

https://secure.mitre10.com.au/Housewares-and-Electrical/Appliances/product/43450//

As we don't have any power at all in our CT yet and only have the dual battery(for fridge mainly and sometimes a led strip light) in the Prado we thought these might be good for recharging the essentials(phones, ipods etc) while bush camping.

They are quite cheap compared to some we have looked at so we are a little wary....

Any feedback from anyone that has either bought one or used one would be great as this is an area we are still really new at.....the whole power thingy is a little bit over my head at the moment... :roll:
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Re: Solar Panel Charger from Mitre 10

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:21 pm

I'd be looking at the charge time XB...I bought a solar battery charger for standard C; AA and AAA batteries.....takes at least 9 hours of good strong Qld sunshine to recharge a couple batteries.

So check how long it will take to actually charge a battery.......think you might be a bit surprised.

The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Lin » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:53 am

I have a similar one, though mine is 3 panels and it looks like this one is only 2? Mine is great for charging phones and similar. It will charge my daughter's Nintendo DS in just a couple of hours and does ok when it's overcast too. Can't remember the brand now. I got it from the US a couple of years ago after reading some reviews. I've been meaning to get another one - now that they're hopefully a bit cheaper - because you can piggy-back them to get more power.

I would shop around before buying this one. And read some reviews - Amazon is a good source for this. Some are better than others and I suspect the difference lies in the quality of the materials they use for the panels.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Lin » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:41 pm

Sunlinq is the brand of mine.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby xmasbaby67 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:02 pm

Thanks for the info Gypsy & Lin.

I will definately be having a look around before buying one, just wanted some info as I have no experience with this sort of stuff as we have not needed power before this.
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Lin » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:27 pm

If it's the same as mine, it's pretty handy that it has a car charger plug. I have USB cables for charging most of our rechargeable things, so I can plug them into a USB AC/DC plug or a USB car charger. Mine did come with a few different connectors too.
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Return to Gear Guide