sleeping bags

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

sleeping bags

Postby Ben K1 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:08 pm

Hi
I am after some comments on sleeping bags. Myself, wife and 2 kids ( 5,8 ) are currently on blow up matresses and want to change sleeping arrangement from doonas to sleeping bags. The reason for this is we want to do more camping in the cooler months in some of our beautiful national parks & hinterlands. Overnight temps we will be expecting is generally around 4 - 6 degrees. ( no we're not camping in the snowys ). If we are all wearing thermal sleepwear how much do we need to spend on a decent sleeping bag ? Do i have to spend $100 plus ? will a half decent quality product from big W or BCF do the job ?
Ben K1

Re: sleeping bags

Postby GypsyLady » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:09 pm

If you watch the specials you'll probably pick a good quality one up for less that that Ben. My recommendation is to go for a minus 5 rating.

Make sure you insulate on top of the air mattress as well as beneath....an old woolen blanket is great for under and a woolen underlay for the top of the air bed.

Add to this hot water bottles and preferably with cosy covers to keep them warmer longer. Have a look at this link for more info http://test.camping.com.au/phpbb/viewto ... =8679c8f51

There is heaps more info on here, use the SEARCH feature at the top right to have a look about and WELCOME to the forum
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Re: sleeping bags

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:49 pm

:hello: Welcome to the forum Ben.

We have a Roman Big Brother Hood Sleeping bag with a rating of -10 and you can unzip them completely open as we use ours as a doona on our bed in the campertrailer. Our son also has one the same he uses in his swag and he has slept outdoors with no cover in -6 degrees and woken up with frost covering his swag but he was as warm as toast.

We bought all our kids King Single swags and they have been worth every penny. The girls sleep on the floor of our CT (softfloor) in theirs and in winter we put yoga matts underneath them and they sleep with water bottles. The swags are used quite often at home when we have visitors as well as the kids taking them to friends places for sleepovers.

But like Gypsy said just do a search and you will get heaps of info from other threads also.

Looking forward to hearing how you got on.... :?#
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to Gear Guide