Tent Advice - Is this any good?

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Tent Advice - Is this any good?

Postby Clem P » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:09 pm

Hi All,
A group of us are organising our first camping trip in Victoria later this year around October and as there are ~7 of us, we were looking at tent options.
I've come across http://www.bigw.com.au/sports-leisure/camping/tents-gazebos/bpnBIGW_0000000020099/trek-10-person-holiday-home-tent and wanted to know if anyone could tell if there'd be any issues with it.

My main questions with it are, will this thing fall apart with a slight gust and will it actually sleep 10 people (adults) if we had that many? What other issues would there be with low-end tents such as this?

Looking forward to your opinions!

Thanks
Clem P

Re: Tent Advice - Is this any good?

Postby Beagle » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:31 pm

I have a Woolies cheapie I keep for the rare occassion I need a tent. It has been good but never tested it in any really strong wind. As with any tent you can not fit as many people into them comfortably as they claim. Try about half the number although if the weather is cold, the more the merryer. As you will see looking through setups of people who use tents, a tarp over the top is always a good idea.
Beagle
Captain Camping

Postby stevo. » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:28 pm

I would say, if you get a tent like that, don't expect too much and you'll be right. If you were expecting rain i would put a big tarp over it. Even expensive tents can leak. At $124 i wouldn't expect it to last too many years, probably has cheapo zips that will break in the first day etc etc, so yeah, don't expect too much and you'll be happy.

If ten people put in $12.40 each to buy the tent, i reckon that's probably good value and then throw it out after the camp :-bang :***

but ya never know, it could last you years :cheers
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby spinyeel » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:36 pm

I have seen one of these Trek tents struggle with the wind. Most large dome tents seem to suffer this problem.
spinyeel
Camping King

Postby sienna » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:52 pm

Definitely won't fit in 10 people unless you plan on sleeping like sardines....and even then you'd be pushing it. The main sleeping area will be approx 3m x 3.5m which is enough room for 3 or 4 people and their gear depending on what you sleep on etc.
But, hey. It could be fun trying to fit in as many people as you can! :***
sienna
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Clem P » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:58 pm

haha sounds like it will be interesting!
Well, I definitely don't expect it to last forever (it'd be nice though) so for the price I think I'll take a gamble.
I certainly don't expect to go if there is rain forecast, so any protential leakage issues aren't a big problem.

Thanks for the great replies!
Clem P

Return to Gear Guide