Thermal Cookers

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Re: Thermal Cookers

Postby Rosco1 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:12 am

Ours (Avis's...lol).....Will get used again next weekend...This time we will cook a ''Pickled Pork''...
Wonderfull arriving after a days driving and having tea good as ready...(We have the same brand as you Gypsy)....very good after sales service...always sending us new recipes

I'm wondering Debs if you are letting it cook for long enough on the stove before you put it in the thing (Avis knows what its called...)......that keeps it cooking while you are travelling...
I know that the first time Avis cooked corned beef in ours...it wasn't that hot on arriving....Soooo....We (Avis)...lets it boil for a bit longer on the stove now before she packs it in the keep warm thingy
,,,,,,,works fine

Cheers :beer :beer
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:13 pm

After an 8 hour period even the Dream Pot sometimes needs a little reheat. I think it depends on what you are actually cooking.

Another little trick that may help you Deb is an insulation bag. I bought one for my DP as a carry bag...think Eco Pot may have a carry bag that is not insulated. Got mine several years ago from KMart for $12 so it does not have to be an expensive one. Have a friend who uses one of those blue cooler bags you buy from WW or Coles for your groceries.

Anyhow the point I am making is that the insulation bag also assists with keeping the thermal pot hot for longer. Another point is that the insulation bag does need to be a snug fit, thereby reducing the amount of air circulating around the thermal pot. If you have a carry bag with your Eco Pot, you could at a pinch put it into that and then wrap it in a large/thick towel to keep it hotter for longer.

The preparation time on the stove is definitely very important and should not be skimped......but I am not sure that it will help the contents to stay hot any longer.

Good luck and have a great holiday. Don't forget the camera and some pics on your return please.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 11:22 am

Good luck with it Deborah, hope you work it out now that you don't feel like throwing it against a wall or under a massive truck...(know that feeling well....just walk away and come back in a couple of days and try again hahahahaha).

Let us know how it goes :armsup
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Rosco1 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:52 pm

I also forgot to add that....While the ,,,say,,,corned beef is cooking on the stove top....We also put a bowl of steaming hot water in the thermos part...which warms up the inside before we add the meat & seal it shut....
That seems to help make it stay hotter inside as well..... :beer
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Previous

Return to Gear Guide