Which Toaster? You choose

Questions, comments, discussions and reviews on equipment, outdoor gear etc.

Postby CCC » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:14 pm

these look great and a good multi purpose utensil too

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Camping-Toaster- ... dZViewItem

:armsup :armsup
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby cokebottle » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:22 am

Central Coast Campers wrote:I want one of these

It works out more economical for myself, the way it cooks 4 in one go.
Otherwise I make French toast or jaffles for us all ( which I do 4 at a time as well)

I just bought one of them last Thursday, cost me $4 from Go-Lo discounts, also are at The Warehouse (same company owns) I will be using it this weekend when I go camping, I noticed that the toaster was lightly oiled, so I plan to spray a bit of cooking spray on it after I use it, maybe this will stop it rusting.

Michael
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:45 am

Otherwise I make French toast or jaffles for us all ( which I do 4 at a time as well)

If it is anything like the one I had it will take heaps longer to cook and therefore will not be so economical.

It would be interesting to see if it performs any better on a low pressure stove.
Last edited by GypsyLady on Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby CCC » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:12 pm

cokebottle wrote:

I just bought one of them last Thursday, cost me $4 from Go-Lo discounts, also are at The Warehouse (same company owns) I will be using it this weekend when I go camping, I noticed that the toaster was lightly oiled, so I plan to spray a bit of cooking spray on it after I use it, maybe this will stop it rusting.

Michael

Hey Michael, let us know how you go with it :grin:
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby shermo » Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:16 pm

i had one at somerset recently - the fold out one and it is crap - I MEAN REAL CRAP.
shermo
Camping King

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:57 pm

Central Coast Campers wrote:these look great and a good multi purpose utensil too

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Camping-Toaster- ... dZViewItem

:armsup :armsup

WOW, think I paid about $9.00 for mine and that is different again to the toaster that I use. In fact I don't think I have used my bruschetta pan which is what I bought mine as.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Re: Which Toaster? You choose

Postby GypsyLady » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:02 pm

gypsylady wrote:[
If this is the one that is made with ss gauze and folds flat then it gets my vote.

I have been camping for 20+ years and a friend got me onto one many years ago and I have only just gone onto my second one in the last 2 years or so. I would have gotten easily 15 years out of the first one.

They were originally made by Primus but there are now a couple of different makes on the market and whereas they were originally about $17+ or so they are now down around the $12 mark.

Yes it only cooks one piece of toast at a time but it cooks literally in seconds.

This is similar to the one I use when camping. http://www.ahappycamper.com/products/toaster/index.html
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Ponga » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:19 pm

Central Coast Campers wrote:
cokebottle wrote:

Michael

Well this is what we went with afterall and I don't know if I let it get hot enough, but quite frankly I lost the will to live waiting for the toast to brown. Breakfast was all ready and getting cold, waiting for blessed toast, everytime I tried to move one piece of toast another fell off the rack. So we had hot bread, rather than toast, I think I would have achieved similar results leaving the bread out in the sun to dry out each side a little. ::()

Tasted alright though, slathered in butter with bacon, eggs and baked beans!
Ponga
'Token' Kiwi Member

Postby CCC » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:52 am

Ponga wrote:
cokebottle wrote:

Michael

Well this is what we went with afterall and I don't know if I let it get hot enough, but quite frankly I lost the will to live waiting for the toast to brown. Breakfast was all ready and getting cold, waiting for blessed toast, everytime I tried to move one piece of toast another fell off the rack. So we had hot bread, rather than toast, I think I would have achieved similar results leaving the bread out in the sun to dry out each side a little. ::()

Tasted alright though, slathered in butter with bacon, eggs and baked beans!

oh no.... :lol: :lol: I'm sorry but I love the way you described your experience.

So what are you going to try next time Ponga ?
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby waltzingmatilda » Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:57 am

Option 3 if using gas burner, toasting fork over the fire tastes the best and the most amusing, someone always burns or drops in the ash and kids love it. :***
Exciting new Aussie online community for friendship or meet your own 'Bloke' or 'Sheila"
http://www.blokesnsheilas.com.au
waltzingmatilda
Captain Camping

Postby Ponga » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:09 pm

Bread and butter :booty

No I think we'll have to have one big toastfest, try them all and see what works best.
Ponga
'Token' Kiwi Member

Postby CCC » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:02 pm

Ponga wrote:

Bread and butter :booty

:*** :*** :***
CCC
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Postby Ponga » Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:54 pm

Well we did the toast test in the garden this afternoon. How sad are we? :shock: I chose to stick with my original first choice (the foldy up one) and other half chose the cheese grater.

We both heated the toaster for the same amount of time and I'm afraid OH :$ , with two slices of toast done nicely on both sides, whilst mine was still very much resembling dried white bread. Honestly, a good ten minutes and no sign of any browning whatsoever.

So 'foldy up one' I'm sorry, I really tried to like you, but you're just not good enough for me. :lol:
Ponga
'Token' Kiwi Member

Postby cokebottle » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:01 am

Did the toast test on the weekend when we went to Samurai beach festival this weekend (camped at Middle rock van park) the folding toaster I give a big thumbs down :-bang

See pictures:

After about 5mins, the metal has discoloured & coating flaked off

after about 10mins 1 piece is starting to brown, bread is very dry

NO good, I let it go for well over 15mins but ended up with 4 pieces of dryed out bread with a slight browning in patches even though I kept turning them over :shock:

I am on a mission now, to find the perfect camp toaster, I will road-test a different design next time :?#

Michael
Last edited by cokebottle on Mon Feb 11, 2008 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
cokebottle
Blatant Padder

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:23 am

cokebottle wrote:Did the toast test on the weekend when we went to Samurai beach festival this weekend (camped at Middle rock van park) the folding toaster I give a big thumbs down :-bang

after about 10mins 1 piece is starting to brown, bread is very dry

NO good, I let it go for well over 15mins but ended up with 4 pieces of dryed out bread with a slight browning in patches even though I kept turning them over :shock:

I am on a mission now, to find the perfect camp toaster, I will road-test a different design next time :?#

Michael

Michael

Hi Michael

I personally am not surprised, I actually threw mine out for this very reason. What did surprise me was how gung ho everyone seemed with this particular toaster.

I have mentioned previously that I use one similar to the one shown in this link, a different brand is all. http://www.ahappycamper.com/products/toaster/index.html

I can highly recommend it and yes it does only do one piece at a time but believe me it is so quick your toast will cooked before you know it.

Cheers Gypsy
Last edited by GypsyLady on Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Guide