Gordon Country Sept '10

OK so this is your home away from home right. So lets share a few of these tips and (secrets) of a great camping site.

Re: Gordon Country Sept '10

Postby stevo. » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:53 am

yeah Janowen Hills would have been a mess, the last time i was there we got stuck on flat ground trying to leave. I think there was supposed to be a 4wd competition there on the weekend but it would have been cancelled anyway.

Where's the photos of your drenched camp site gyspy? Are you back in Brisbane yet or did you conitnue on to the next wetland campground?
my dodgy blog www.shackers.net
stevo.
There is no conspiracy here....

Postby xmasbaby67 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 12:55 pm

Sorry to hear that Gypsy.... :cry:

Makes you mad when you don't get for what you pay for...... :evil:

Also all that time and effort to get time off and you have had so much rain, it's such a shame :cry:
xmasbaby67
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:07 pm

stevo. wrote:yeah Janowen Hills would have been a mess, the last time i was there we got stuck on flat ground trying to leave. I think there was supposed to be a 4wd competition there on the weekend but it would have been cancelled anyway.

Where's the photos of your drenched camp site gyspy? Are you back in Brisbane yet or did you conitnue on to the next wetland campground?

Appears the comp was not cancelled Steve....lots of muddy 4bys there and heaps of smiling faces. I did call in for a looksee but did not stay.

Pics will have to wait until I get home....be patient my little man....
The worst day camping still beats the best day working
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:12 pm

xmasbaby67 wrote:Sorry to hear that Gypsy.... :cry:

Makes you mad when you don't get for what you pay for...... :evil:

Also all that time and effort to get time off and you have had so much rain, it's such a shame :cry:

The rain was not too bad really.....no where near as bad as on the eastern side of the ranges.

We just sat around and chatted lots...pretty relaxing overall. We did get our camps set up in the dry and packed up in the dry so not too bad really.

The cost of the place was the most disappointing though when you look at what was on offer....rip off is the term that comes to mind.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby Chicky Babe » Tue Oct 12, 2010 5:59 pm

:( :( oh GL...sorry u had a dissappointing trip to GC...and I am so sorry for the rudeness you were subjected to...was it Sandra or her daughter Sandy? Sandra can be a bit that way sometimes I got put off by her when she took over from Anne a couple of years ago. There is no excuse for rudeness. :shock: I feel awful I recommended it to you. :(

I agree that GC is very expensive for the service (lack thereof) that you get..and I wholeheartedly complain every time I go!!!...however, for me as I've said b4 I go to GC for the space, beauty, creek, free firewood and it's one of the few places you are allowed to have your dog offleash...and the kids are gone from brekky to lunch and gone again till dinner. If I use their amenities it is only for the flush toilet as I use my own shower. I can't carry my own firewood so I would normally spend $20 to $50 a day on wood (cause I can't camp without a fire :grin: ), so in that respect GC is cheap for me and I normally get a discount anyway...that doesn't help the one or 2 nighters though :( If you stay for a longer period or travel in a large group Sandra/Sandy normally give you a discount and we have a group with 10 families in it, so it's worth our while. I agree not fair if campers during the week get it free.
Now that you mention the light I seem to remember I had to ask the owner to fix it last time, it appears it runs on a generator on a timer which they don't use unless it's busy and there was a problem with the hot water, but they fixed it straight away....I don't think it's used much during the week, therefore the fees of course should be much cheaper.

I only camp at Black dingaling with the group cause some of the gals just can't cope with using a Port Potti :*** :***

I guess it all comes down to what we all get out of our camping experiences, I stayed at Imbil, cheaper fees with lovely amenities, free activities for the kids, a great creek, lovely owners but they cleaned both amenities at 10.30 at night and you can't sleep cause of the noise :evil: , that's not camping to me.(It most certainly wasn't Island Reach)
There must be other places like GC with great amenities I just haven't found them yet.

Thanks for your honest opinion GL (I would expect nothing less), I will certainly pass that on to the owners at xmas but as u said they don't seem to care, It's just a sideline for them I guess. Maybe :beer money!! :)
I hope you enjoyed the rest of your camping trip such a shame about the weather :(
Chicky Babe
Camping Veteran

Postby Rosco1 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 4:13 am

We are ALL looking forwards to all the pics of your set-up Gypsy......(not the flowers ...for the men...ha)
More bad weather coming here today (friday)...and saturday

:cheers
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Tahlee R » Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:13 am

Yeah, same here. Rain rain and more darn rain...so over it. My CT is still set up waiting to dry out. :x Hope it is before my camp next week.
I found GC a lovely big place and would go in there again...when it dries up. It is very quiet...just what I like. Also, it's only about an hour and a half from here. I do think that the charge is high but it was still good to have a hot shower. At least the weather was clear when I set up and cleared again when I packed up. Had a big laugh when I saw the 4bys coming out of Janowen...talk about mud flying everywhere.
Tahlee R
Captain Camping

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:30 pm

CB.....no need for you to feel awful at all....it was my choice to try the place again. At a more reasonable cost one would not mind the unclean amenities, missing windows etc.

The woman I spoke with was the mother, she said her name was Sandy. She also said her daughter cleaned the amenities..... she splashed a bit of bleach around was all she did...once only in 4 days.

When I look at places like the Gorge at Aratula for $4 per person per day.....GC leaves a lot to be desired.

Sandy told me that you have to stay a week to qualify for the $9 per day and even at that price I feel it is still a tad too expensive.

This is one occasion where you do not get what you pay for!!

Yes I do have my own shower/toilet but prefer to use the campground facilities if they are available...less work for me that way and as one normally pays for them, why not make use of them.

I certainly won't be going back and I will not be recommending GC to anyone either.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:35 pm

Rosco1 wrote:We are ALL looking forwards to all the pics of your set-up Gypsy......(not the flowers ...for the men...ha)
More bad weather coming here today (friday)...and saturday

Not much in the way of pics Rosco....rained pretty much all the time.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby chippy 76 » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:26 am

GL,
Do you have any info on the gorge at Aratula ? I havent been able to find anything on the net ...
Cheers Chippy :D
chippy 76
Captain Camping

Postby donnao » Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:04 am

we have 3 children, the other two families had 3 and 2 kids. GC dont charge for kids, this makes it a LOT cheaper for us to stay for a week. Other campgrounds (Neurum comes to mind) charge for each child + the dog too! Way tooo expensive for our limited budget.

We are self sufficient (toilets and shower/bucket bath for kids) so the facilities dont really bother us at all.

We loved our stay at GC but respect that it is not for everyone.
:grin:
donnao

Postby Rosco1 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:05 pm

i REALIZE THE WEATHER WAS A BIT STINK FOR PICS GYPSY....MAYBE ANOTHER TIME....
Dunno when your coming back,,,,but the last 2 days were certainly better packing up days than we had at Mt Warning.....
Life is not about how hard you can hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.
Rosco1
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Postby Chicky Babe » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:33 pm

[quote="donnao"]we have 3 children, the other two families had 3 and 2 kids. GC dont charge for kids, this makes it a LOT cheaper for us to stay for a week. Other campgrounds (Neurum comes to mind) charge for each child + the dog too! Way tooo expensive for our limited budget.

Is this new Donnao?... was it at a reduced rate for the week...did you still pay $11 a night for adeults..they have always charged for kids b4...if that is the case that's great news for our group as most of the time we only have the one parent... :+
Chicky Babe
Camping Veteran

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:05 pm

chippy 76 wrote:GL,
Do you have any info on the gorge at Aratula ? I havent been able to find anything on the net ...
Cheers Chippy :D

I do chippy but not here...will hunt it down when I get home....

EDIT:

No website......the phone number is 5526 0683.

Coming from Brisbane turn left at the pub onto Charlwood Road. Drive 2.4 klms and turn right onto a dirt track, Gorge Road. There is a very primitive looking handwritten old sign on the corner.

Head down the track (keep right) just over 1klm and you will come to a gate....that is the entrance to the campground. Close the gate.

GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

Postby GypsyLady » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:06 pm

Rosco1 wrote:i REALIZE THE WEATHER WAS A BIT STINK FOR PICS GYPSY....MAYBE ANOTHER TIME....
Dunno when your coming back,,,,but the last 2 days were certainly better packing up days than we had at Mt Warning.....

Yesterday was ok except for the wind Rosco....today was pure magic.
GypsyLady
Difficult Customer

PreviousNext

Return to Show Us Your Campsite