Pita pockets (pita shwarma)

Great camping, outdoor or general recipes for the whole family. Lets share some of those favourite recipes.

Pita pockets (pita shwarma)

Postby Lin » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:07 pm

I've never made these whilst camping, but I make them at home all the time and freeze them. It would be interesting to know if they would work in a camp oven or even on a BBQ plate! If you want to try that but cannot be bothered making yeast dough at the campsite, I'm pretty sure the dough itself would freeze well too. (I do it with pizza dough and this is very similar)

It's an American recipe, hence the inches and Fahrenheit (handy, as my oven only uses F)

1 package of yeast, or quick rising yeast
1 1/2 cup water
3 cups all purpose flour
1 1/4 teapsoon salt
1 teaspoon granulated sugar
Preparation:

Prepare dough in the usual way. I use the breadmaker at home, so I don't ever knead anything by hand, so sorry - no instructions on this.

Roll out in a rope, and pinch off 10-12 small pieces. Place balls on floured surface. Let sit covered for 10 minutes. Preheat oven to 500 deg F. and make sure rack is at the very bottom of oven. Be sure to preheat your baking sheet also.

Roll out each ball of dough with a rolling pin into circles. Each should be about 5-6 inches across and 1/4 inch thick. [For filling, it's best to make them slightly elongated]

Bake each circle for 3-4 minutes until the bread puffs up (this is what will make them hollow). Turn over and bake for 2 minutes. [You really don't want to overbake them: they'll become rock hard. They should hardly brown at all.]

Remove each pita with a spatula from the baking sheet and add additional pitas for baking. Take spatula and gently push down puff.

------------------

The way we fill them is by marinating some beef strips with olive oil, lemon juice and mediteranean spices - about 1tbs each for 500g of meat. (if you can't find a suitable spice mix in the store, this is the mix I make myself: 1 tbs ground cumin, 1 tbs ground coriander , 1 tbs garlic powder, 1/2 tbs paprika, 1 ts turmeric powder, 1/2 ts ground cloves, 1/2 ts ground cayenne pepper, 1 ts ground ginger, 1 ts ground black pepper, 1/2 ts ground cinnamon) Then just pan fry, bbq or grill it.

If necessary defrost/reheat the pitas by toasting them (again, make sure not overcook them or they'll get hard). Cut the pita breads open at the top, start with a layer of meat, then some salad veggies (we just use lettuce, tomato and cucumber) then more meat. Spoon sauce over as you eat. Garlic sauce is a must (yoghurt, garlic and some lemon), and hot chilli sauce and tomato salsa are also good.

My daughter and I also love filling them with feta (marinated would keep best and is yummiest), salad veggies and (for me) those mild green peppers in a jar.

I'm all hungry now!

Lin
Lin
Grandpa Talks Alot eh?

Re: Pita pockets (pita shwarma)

Postby Titch » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:24 pm

Thank you,looks good.
Titch
Marriage Equals a life Sentence
Titch
Mr(or Mrs) Dribble

Return to Favorite Recipes